What are the Pros and Cons of a Winter Wedding?
I hear you when you say summer weddings can have pitfalls but we are concentrating on what pitfalls the winter weddings can have here!!
First let’s take a look at the pros for winter weddings …..
- There are many cheaper deals to be had here. Most hotels offer cheaper rates as less people have winter weddings so Venues find they have more availability in winter months after the wedding season has come to an end. Deals on these hotels can be quite large in the scheme of things so grabbing a bargain on top of Christmas can have a huge impact on your budget. Great news really, it means you don’t have to live on Bread and butter for the next year paying for the venue!!!
- Another great aspect of a winter wedding, is that vendors have more time to be able to spend with you because they are not snowed under every single week with bookings!!!!! Show me the love right there!
- Your anniversary will have a unique date, most other people would have had a summer wedding so a summer anniversary so on those chilly months when you want to spend time with a glass of bubbly “Or two”, just saying, then it’s the perfect cosy time to do so.
- Unless there’s an absolute hum dinger amount of wet wet and more wet weather on the day, then it can be quite beautiful especially if it’s autumn. With the gorgeous leaves falling and the beautiful array of colours in the foliage around you it will be picturesque. Better still if the snowman puts in an appearance and covers your wedding in soft falling white fluffy stuff then your beautiful snowy wedding photographs will be outstanding. Remember to wrap up because blue noses that appear very quickly are not trendy and never will be in wedding photographs!
- Let’s face it it’s a magical time of year and everyone is in great spirits the closer you are to December or new year, so go on bite the bullet and book that beautiful wedding for winter.
- If the church or venue is already decorated for the season’s greetings (usually a couple of months before December) you will be laughing all the way to the bank. ….again. You will not only have a fully decorated venue or church from the festivities already, but you didnt have to pay anything for the décor !!!! kerching
Now let’s take a look at the cons for winter weddings…..
- There could be that dreaded wet wet and more wet windy weather forecast for the whole day. No one will want to venture outside and it gets pretty claustrophobic when you are stuck in doors all day and all evening.
- The light fades very fast, so after 3.30 ish we are looking to false light for any photographs from here on in Any naturel light is going or gone. False light is never as flattering and usually casts a film on your photographs. False light can cause photos to become grainy due to the settings you need to put your DSLR on to grab that photo especially if people are moving. So you will either have to get married very early or resign yourself to fewer wedding photos and some may be pushed to their limits in resolution.
- Travel can be a problem in winter months. With weather becoming severe in the UK at times this can become a nightmare for some peoples travel plans. This time of year also fall’s on holiday times so can have a huge impact on transportation bookings. I’m not just talking guests here you need to remember your vendors like DJs, Photographers, and Caterers etc. Some photographers won’t actually book winter weddings because of the amount of problems low light can cause in winter not to mention travelling and keeping equipment safe from the weather.
- Flowers will not be so easy to obtain especially if they are out of season. Should you be lucky enough to get your perfect blooms it will be perfectly expensive as well.
- Your honeymoon will be trickier to find. Some places are just not warm abroad whilst we are in our winter months. If it’s a seaside holiday or a hot day basking by the pool you want, then you will have to pay much more and go much further afield. OR, you could wait until the summer months after the wedding and have a belated Honeymoon?
- No tan line fears. Yup, you won’t have a thing to worry about as you lay in the sun all summer because by the time your winter wedding comes around any tan lines will be gone. You can tan until your heart’s content on that sun lounger in the knowledge it WONT matter on my wedding day .YIPPEE
So there we have it. The pros and cons for winter weddings. Only you know if the weather is worth the worry or not. If you can think of any other things for pros and cons that can help the next newlyweds to make up their mind, please leave any ideas and tips below…..
If you want to contact me about your wedding day please do get in touch, Or read my other blogs for help and advice on your wedding day!